- New Cars
- Used Cars
- Special Offers
- Business Users
- Mazda Business Offers
- Motability Offers
- Mazda reveals 25th Anniversary Edition MX-5 at New York Auto Show
- Mazda HAZUMI debuted at Geneva Motor Show
- New Mazda6 and Mazda CX-5 on display at The London Golf Show
- The all new Mazda 3 - Durable and dependable, here's the proof!
- The Mazda CX-5, WhatCar? winner once again.
- Mazda3 to be Released in January 2014
- Mazda Surprising Drives
- New Mazda3 - Coming Soon
- New world record for the Mazda MX-5
- Mazda6 wins ‘Best Petrol Tow Car’ at Tow Car Awards 2013
- New Mazda6 and Mazda CX-5 win Fleet World ‘Best Car’ Awards
- Mazda MX-5 wins ‘Most Popular Roadster’ Award
- Mazda MX-5 Fun in the Sun
- Mazda CX-5 vs. Ford Kuga
- Mazda CX-5 wins ‘Best Buy’ SUV award from What Car?
- Take the ultimate Mazda6 test drive at Johnsons Mazda
- “Deals on wheels… That's Mazda price”
- ALL-NEW MAZDA6 DEBUTS IN SWINDON
- Mazda6 and Takeri – bringing concept to reality
- The "handsome" Mazda6 steals the show at Moscow
- The New Mazda6 estate to debut at Paris Motor Show
- All-new Mazda6 to debut at Moscow Motor Show
- New Mazda6 ‘Venture Edition’ models on sale now
- The Death-Defying Mazda2
- All-new Mazda CX-5 UK prices announced
- Upgraded Mazda3 receives value boost
- Mazds CX-5 earns 5 stars from Euro NCAP
- Award winning Mazda CX-7 - Exciting driving.
- Skeleton Champion Vouches for Mazda CX-5
- All-new Mazda3 wins a ‘2014 Red Dot: Product Design Award’
- Contact Us
Takeri Concept unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show
The Mazda Takeri is the latest concept to adopt Mazda’s ‘KODO – Soul of Motion’ design theme. Featuring Mazda's brand-new i-ELOOP regenerative braking system along with breakthrough SKYACTIV technology, the new-generation saloon concept being revealed to Europe at this year’s Geneva International Motor Show offers a look into Mazda’s future.
Uniquely sporty for a saloon in the hotly-contested CD-segment, the 4.85-metre long Mazda Takeri makes a strong statement about Mazda’s vision for beauty, efficiency and performance. Inheriting the emotion of the Mazda Shinari, a four-door sports coupe concept unveiled in 2010 as the first incarnation of KODO, the Takeri reveals the direction of Mazda’s next-generation mid-sized saloon, the heart of the company’s product line-up. The concept’s evolved styling projects a level of excitement and vitality unmatched in its class.
KODO – Soul of Motion
Over many years, Mazda has explored the various concepts of motion in nature to inspire its unique vehicle designs. The instantaneous movement of animals – an ultimate form of motion, brimming with energy and emotion – inspired Mazda’s design team. It is the essence of Mazda’s ‘KODO – Soul of Motion’ design theme, which was developed under the guidance of Ikuo Maeda, Mazda’s head of design.
Accordingly, a whole new generation of Mazda vehicles, beginning with the CX-5 compact crossover SUV, will be influenced by the power and beauty found in nature, the vitality and agility, its strength and its depth.
The Mazda Shinari concept was a refreshingly unique four-door sports coupe. It was followed by the MINAGI concept, a compact crossover SUV and the forerunner of today’s Mazda CX-5 – the first mass production vehicle to fully embrace KODO.
Another glimpse at the future
Underneath the Takeri concept’s stunning exterior lurks a wealth of cutting-edge Mazda innovation. Developed in pursuit of the ultimate in energy efficiency, it features Mazda’s highly efficient and lightweight SKYACTIV technology, which is being introduced to the mass market on the all-new Mazda CX-5 compact crossover SUV.
Takeri also introduces Mazda’s unique all-new i-ELOOP regenerative braking system which makes its world premiere at Geneva.
Under the hood, power is provided by the remarkably clean and efficient yet highly dynamic 2.2-litre SKYACTIV-D, the new-generation 175ps clean diesel engine that delivers torque over an exceptionally wide-rev band – as featured in the CX-5. This engine is fitted with ‘i-stop‘, the world’s first* idle-stop system that restarts the clean diesel engine on the first compression stroke. Coupled with the new six-speed SKYACTIV-Drive automatic transmission, this engine ensures that the Mazda Takeri is extremely enjoyable to drive, delivering outstanding fuel economy without compromising on its superior, refined performance.
The Mazda Takeri is proof of just how far the company has come with its vision. Graceful efficiency and, of course, dynamic driving fun, all packaged in a captivating revelation for the future of the CD-segment.
- Exterior designers captured the strength of a coiled cheetah ready to spring into motion and run free.
- The front-to-rear axis (or “spine”) conveys the vehicle’s confidence and a sense of speed.
- The cabin, placed towards the rear to articulate the Takeri’s concept formidable proportions, helps convey a perfect balance between elegance and a convincing expression of inherent driving joy.
- The deeply set headlamps impart a profound sense of solidity, while the Takeri concept‘s ‘signature wing’ nose makes it immediately recognisable as a sixth-generation Mazda.
- The rear end, too, expresses determination, as the lines from the side join the robustly-sculpted boot to radiate the Takeri concept’s poise as well as its potential.
- The red body colour was specially developed to accentuate the passionate shapes and delicate inflections of the KODO design theme, amplifying the Takeri’s depth and enhancing its textures.
- The stunning design optimises air flow both over and under the vehicle for superior aerodynamics to compliment the Takeri concept’s lightweight SKYACTIV technology.
- Interior designers focused on high-quality materials to establish a degree of comfort and ambiance fitting for Mazda’s top-of-the-line CD-segment saloon.
- Powerful, flowing lines from the instrument panel to the door trim and sides of the cabin evoke KODO’s dynamism and speed while at the same time expressing saloon solidity.
The Mazda Takeri is equipped with the same SKYACTIV-D engine and SKYACTIV-Drive automatic transmission found in the new Mazda CX-5. The concept marks the first appearance of Mazda’s innovative new i-ELOOP regenerative braking system. This technology is the latest in Mazda’s step-by-step introduction of auxiliary systems to further enhance the efficiency of its SKYACTIV internal combustion engines.
Mazda’s new unique i-ELOOP regenerative braking system is the world’s first passenger car system that employs a capacitor to store the recovered electricity, which is then used to run all electric components. Short for ‘Intelligent Energy Loop’, this system improves fuel economy by around 10 percent under stop-and-go driving conditions. Mazda intends to progressively introduce i-ELOOP to its SKYACTIV-equipped model line-up in the years ahead.
Previously, the effectiveness of regenerative braking has been limited by the less-than-ideal charging and power storage characteristics of the lead-acid starter batteries typically used in vehicles.
When developing i-ELOOP, Mazda engineers aimed to create a system that generates the most energy possible. Because a typical deceleration phase lasts only about 10 seconds, they adopted an Electric Double Layer Capacitor (EDLC), instead of a dedicated battery, to capture and temporarily store electricity within that brief period. The system uses a 12V–25V variable voltage alternator to efficiently generate power and charge the capacitor, which can be fully recharged in just a few seconds – well within one deceleration cycle. A DC/DC converter then steps down the voltage of the electricity in the capacitor to 12V to power electrical components in the vehicle, with any surplus electricity going to the starter battery.
Regenerative braking can produce most – and sometimes all – of a vehicle’s electricity needs. These normally require some 10 percent of engine output to drive the alternator, so Mazda’s i-ELOOP regenerative braking thus increases fuel economy by up to 10 percent.
|Body type||4-door saloon|
|Overall length x width x height||4,850mm x 1,870mm x 1,430mm|
|Engine||SKYACTIV-D 2.2 (175ps / 420 Nm)|
|Transmission||SKYACTIV-Drive (6-speed automatic)|
|Key technology (selected)||i-stop / idle stop system
i-ELOOP / regenerative braking system
|Steering system||Electric power-assisted rack & pinion|
|Wheels||20-inch x 9.5J|
|Tyres||Bridgestone 245/40 R20|